He graduated with honours in Civil Engineering (Doctor) – Transportation Sector, at Turin’s Polytechnic in 1966. Subsequently, he obtained a Master degree of Sciences in Geotechnics and Foundation Engineering at Imperial College, London (1968-1969). He began his professional activity in the specialized firm G. Rodio (1968-1970) and then moved to SGI Srl, an engineering consultancy company in Milan (1970-1994), where he was Managing Director between 1983 and 1991. He began his career as a free professional in 1994 in the field of geotechnics and in 1996 he founded the engineering firm SOIL Srl of which he has always been Technical Director and CEO. He has become Technical Director since 2020 of SOIL ENGINEERING Srl. In his professional career he has written over 30 scientific and technical papers for Italian and international journals and has been speaker at conferences and training courses organized both for Professional Associations (engineers, architects and geologists) and for the technical roles in large private and public companies (ANAS, ALSTOM POWER ITALIA, TECHINT). He represented Italy for Eurocode 3-5 (steel piling) and has been part of the ISSMGE-TC1 Technical Committee, Off-shore and near-shore geotechnical engineering. In over 50 years of professional activity he has followed projects regarding civil and industrial plants, large infrastructures and works in the most varied and complex geological and geotechnical conditions, both onshore and offshore such as the foundations of the Messina Strait Bridge, the Rome-Naples high speed railways line, the recovery of the Concordia Wreck, etc..
His main specialization sectors include:
- planning and management of geotechnical investigations, also in particularly critical environmental conditions;
- consultancy and design in the field of geotechnics and foundation engineering;
- design and works management in terrain reinforcement and consolidation, and special foundations;
- design and in-execution control of road and railroad structures, viaducts, civil and industrial buildings;
- design and works management for the restoration of structural features through subfoundations and/or special works;
- seismic geotechnics;
- underground works;
- geotechnical design and in-execution control of offshore and near-shore structures.